Skip to main content
Search

Milestones: ExxonMobil's history in Singapore

Growing with Singapore since 1893

1893 - Vacuum Oil (whose parent company in the US was majority owned by Standard Oil) sets up a trading post at Robinson Quay next to the Singapore River selling kerosene

1906 - The Mei Foo kerosene lamp is introduced

1911 - Standard Oil opens an office on the fifth floor of Union Building at Collyer Quay

1931 - Vacuum Oil merges with the Standard Oil Company of New York (Socony) to form Standard-Vacuum Oil Company, or Stanvac

1949 - Stanvac starts to retail gasoline at service stations, with the first station at Outram Road. It also expands into aviation supply business at the Kallang Airport

1964 - First Mobil service station opens at Pasir Panjang

1965 - The Esso Tiger makes its debut

1966 - Mobil opens its refinery at Pioneer Road in Jurong

1970 - Esso's refinery at Pulau Ayer Chawan becomes operational

1985 - Mobil Marathon is launched

1986 - Esso introduces the convenience store concept to Singapore through the first service station with a mini-mart at West Coast Road

1993 - Esso's convenience stores get a new name: Tiger Mart.

1999 - Merger of Exxon and Mobil to form Exxon Mobil Corporation

2001 - ExxonMobil Chemical starts up the Singapore Chemical Plant, with its first steam cracker, on Jurong Island.

2004 - Opening of ExxonMobil-NTUC FairPrice Pilot Alliance service stations

2006 - FairPrice Xpress & Cheers stores open at ExxonMobil's service stations

2007 - All service stations converted to Esso brand

2013 - Start-up of the Singapore Chemical Plant expansion and the new diesel hydrotreater unit at the refinery.

2014 - ExxonMobil celebrates 120 years in Singapore.

2014 - Groundbreaking ceremony of the Singapore Butyl & Adhesion project.

Close